What an amazing grand prix! Spa goes to prove that you really don’t need rain to give you an exhilarating and exciting race. I had a family matter to attend to so I missed the race, turned off twitter and internet on my iPhone, drove 150 miles today to come back home at 0200 to watch the race. Now I write this for you at 0356 at night but will publish this at a more sensible hour on your bank holiday Monday.
Here are some of the interesting notes from the race,
- Vettel’s 17th race win in his 48th race for Red Bull – a very high win percentage.
- Lewis when interviewed said he was “massively massively slow” down the straight. I predicted this yesterday as a result of his high downforce setup- in my qualifying analysis.
- Schumacher went up from 24th to 14th at the end of lap one.
- Schumacher had two fastest pit stops of the race (by half a second) crucially early on at Lap 4 & 13
- Schumacher (5th) finished ahead of Rosberg (6th). Ironically, Schumacher started last and Rosberg led lap one.
- Button drove the race with a broken front wing, rear wing and left wing mirror at lap one.
- Both Lotii (my plural for Lotus) finished ahead (14,15) ahead of Barrichello’s Williams (16).
- Ferrari were slow on the medium tyre, which suggest they haven’t fixed their prime (hard) tyre issues.
- On the converse, Ferrari had superb option (soft) tyre performance.
- Maldonado suggested with BBC in post race show saying “It’s disappointing Lewis did the same thing today” (referring to Kamui’s incident in the race).
- Reaction to DRS suggests it was too easy to pass but I believe it’s not down to just DRS. I will be writing a whole article on this. Hint: Eau Rouge.
- Hamilton on twitter changed his earlier position of ‘no blame taken’ and has taken 100% responsibility for this incident with Kobayashi.
- Big changes in position from grid to flag: Maldonado came 10th from 21st, Jenson 3rd from 13th and Schumacher – 5th from 24th.
- One final thought – Red Bull 1-2 on a traditional ‘power’ circuit. RB7 really does look like a complete package.
I will be doing another feature soon – I have taken some funny and/or interesting quotes from the race of drivers, engineers and media and will put them together along with my personal choice for ‘Quote of the race’